Tuesday, July 1, 2014

My car needs a new engine and is almost paid off!?

My car needs a new engine and is almost paid off!?
I own a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe that will be paid off in July this year. I bought the car new and never had trouble with it. The car started making a knocking noise upon ignition and I took the car in for repair. A dealership that I've been getting repair work done for the past 3 years made the diagnosis, so I trust their work. The car has 124000 miles on it and the engine will cost approximately $2500 to replace. The discovery has cost me $300 already. How would I get a cheaper 2nd opinion? I am unsure what to do at this point. The market is so good for automobile purchases with good financing available. I don't know if I should pay the money to repair the car or just get a new one. The mechanic said I could still drive it, I'd just be rolling the dice for the engine to fail though.
Maintenance & Repairs - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
get another car a 6 year old hundai is going to continue having problems
2 :
as you know time getting hard. so i just put a motor in an try to save a note
3 :
Any replacement vehicle will cost more than $2500. In this case I suggest researching the used market for a replacement engine as recycle yards can supply one. Quite common and they warranty the used engine as well. Or, put the money aside now and drive on.
4 :
If the engine actually bad that's a reasonable price but what is supposedly wrong with your engine.If you took it to a garage that always does you repair they kind of stuck it to you for a diagnoses, Get a second opinion.
5 :
Get a second opinion. Sounds like a timing/computer issue. If you really do need a new motor, you need a different vehicle. You've learned the Hyundai lesson, buy a used Toyota or Honda this time. Do not sink more money into that old car.